background

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Grace Growers

Sometimes it can be hard to live a life full of grace.... let's face it.. it's always hard. It's so easy to get sucked into the negative and see all the bad things happening around you. We see it every day in the media, hear it on the radio (have you heard some of the song lyrics out there?), encounter our own difficulties every day.
  This past Monday, Halloween, was one of those days for me where it was a challenge to find grace in the day, but of course, it was there- always is. It was only fitting after my son being terribly sick Saturday and Sunday nights. 
     First, my "smart" alarm clock from 5 years ago decided Sunday night was best time to change the clock back. I woke up at 3:45 (according to said smart clock) on my own. I realized I was an hour early in waking up, so I rolled back over and went to sleep. The alarm clock went off at the appropriate time 4:45. I turned it off, rolled over and turned on the TV to see the morning weather report. Mind you, I paid no attention to the time in the corner of the screen nor did I pay attention to the time the anchors announced. Do you see where I'm going with this?  In the meantime, the alarm on my watch went off (6:00 be downstairs getting the dogs out alarm), but I simply turned it off and thought nothing of it. The fog outside was clearly in my head as well.
   I got a shower and my little guy was awake running around (odd at 5:30). When I stepped out of the shower, I smelled something funky. I thought it was my son with a stinky diaper. As I stepped out of the shower, I glanced at my watch and saw the time: 6:54 (Note, I have to report to my classroom at 6:50!!!!!!).  I stepped out of the bathroom to change him only to find that it wasn't him at all, but that the dogs had gotten the runs and ran down the stairs and through the living room and dining room leaving a trail behind them. So much for those area rugs and the carpet. Thank goodness that hubby stayed home to take care of our sick son because I couldn't take the day off. Unfortunately for him, he also got doggy doo duty.
   I made it to school only 45 minutes after I called them (amazing since the commute is 30 minutes and when I called, I wasn't even dressed, no makeup, no dry hair). In the 45 minutes, I did face some challenges. Hubby did laundry on Sunday and all my personal under items were in the basement drying aside from 1 pair of undies and a sports bra. The first thing I tried on, well, that didn't work. So I figured I'd put on my black pants and leave the top as it was.... Only thing, I couldn't find my long black pants, only my cropped black pants. I figured it wouldn't matter since I could wear my black boots... Great plan if the boots are in the same spot. Since my toddler likes to play in my shoes, he took one of there who knows where and I was left with only 1 black boot. Option 2: my crocs mary janes and black knit socks. It was going to have to work regardless of what I looked like.
    Off I went.
Arrived at school and it was a crazy start. Then I remembered... I had an observation/evaluation coming in 45 minutes and still had to make the copies/scan the document (I usually do this first thing in the morning, but since I was late, I didn't have that time!). I managed to make it all work before my asssistant principal came in (Thank goodness). While the lesson/activities were ones we do daily (budgeting), today's was a challenge since we had to balance the checkbook. We made it through. It wasn't the greatest evaluation ever, but we all have good days and bad... I think it's clear, mine was challenging from the start.
   Finally, it was my planning time. I learned from my hubby who took E to the doctor that it was strep yet again since the last antibiotic didn't kill his strep. Someone laughed at me all down the hall for the outfit I conjured up. What am I gonna do about her laughing- nothing but laugh with her. Why not?  My husband's car broke and wouldn't lock (it's not old at all.... why have these problems???) so he had to get that fixed. My throat was really hurting so I went to urgent care where I was 10th in line and who knew how long it would take to get seen. We missed my grandma's 77th birthday party- I didn't want her to get sick from us. Where is the grace and goodness in all this?
My conjured laughed at outfit.
   The grace comes in that my mom took care of my son while I was at urgent care (didn't get seen there because the wait was an eternity) and hubby was dealing with car issue, I was able to pick up my husband at the car shop, mom made us dinner, we are still a family and healthy for the most part.  God has forgiven me and given me eternal unconditional love with that comes His grace and goodness. I'm so thankful for that! I get to continue growing in grace.  Thank goodness God gives us reminders of what's important in life.

1 comment: