background

Monday, August 1, 2011

Calzone Recipe - with pics!

I'm getting fancy folks! Don't think this will be a regular thing though! I'm providing tips and pics on how to make this super easy and fun calzones from Pillsbury.

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375.
Step 2: Open a can of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits. You have to smoosh down the biscuit to make it flat like a pizza crust would be. I only had Grands Jr. biscuits on hand. There are 10 in a package. Since the circle should be about 6" in circumference (like that geometry term math teacher friends??), I use 2 of the Jr. biscuits to make a circle about the same size.


Step 3: Put whatever you want on half of the crust. We use pepperoni, mushrooms (when we have them), green peppers, cheese, onions- add whatever you want, but remember you have to be able to fold it closed.

Step 4: Fold the empty side over the stuffed side and seal tightly. It works best with a fork. Today, I eliminated that step accidentally as I was working on some serious jo-jos and Everett was building his own calzone (too much fun!). I just pressed it closed, but it didn't work as well as usual.

So there were 3 pieces of pepperoni on this, but Everett couldn't help himself. He had to eat some. This lone piece made it back. He then took a bite out of the uncooked biscuit. That was a face I wish I could have captured on camera!

Step 5: Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes.   When finished, serve with sauce. I'm guessing you could put sauce in there, but I've always served mine on the side. I like to "dip it" as Everett would say.



Tonight's meal was more complex for me as I learned/attempted to make homemade jo-jo's like my grandma's. OH MY!!!! They are the best things ever (sooo not healthy in any way shape or form. I'm surprised we didn't have a heart attack eating them... shoot, even just making them!).

 In making these time consuming, labor of love jo jos I realized how much effort people used to put into their meals. It amazes me at the love and goodness wrapped in those old southern recipes my grandma makes. I love her dearly and am thankful for every recipe she teaches me. I just need to sit down with her again on those chicken and dumplings- my favorite but I've screwed them up every time I make them- unless I'm with her!

Mammaw- I want to say thank you so much for all the meals you have cooked us and the love it took to make them. Thank you for sharing your recipes with me. I love you!

 For those of you near your grandma's, if they are still alive, please learn some of those recipes! You will be the one to pass them down to another generation.

That wasn't all the cooking I did. I also made a pasta salad and some brownies. This is what the kitchen looked like 2 hours later:


Good thing clean up doesn't take as long as messing it up! 15 minutes later, the kitchen was clean and I was off to work on the basement window!

I also learned that when cooking the jo-jos, I need to have the hubby take the kiddo to do something. He managed to find the stockpile of dishsoap, unpack it from the cute container, spill it on the floor and rub it all up and down his legs to "wash feet". Nice! At least the floor has been cleaned! :)
How could you be upset with this face??? I love him!

1 comment:

  1. I'm making these either today or tomorrow. I am going to make half with a garlic alfredo sauce and half with a red sauce. I have tons of veggies and even some cheese infused pepperoni!

    ReplyDelete