background

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time out - it's good for adults too!

A friend and I were talking the other day about the book "Heaven is For Real". We both had the same feeling that it made us see our children (both toddlers - age 2) differently and made us feel like we needed to "shape up" (I just stole her words) our attitude toward going through this toddler "let me be independent- I don't want to listen to you Mom" stage. Which leads me to discipline. Something that is not fun, but necessary.

On the way home, I started thinking random thoughts- nothing out of the ordinary for me. I realized how much I value TO (Not Terrell Owens, but Time Out). I use time out as my disciplinary strategy for my son. We've been using time out since he was about 10 or 11 months old. There are times when we give him a choice and he will actually choose the time out. Smart kid.


In my thoughts, I stopped when I thought about God and how He wants us to take a time out. "Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10. In thinking about my life, I'm not often still. I'm constantly moving and busy. This week I've been trying to be still and reflect on God and His goodness as well as just regrouping myself to get ready to go back to school (I'm a teacher). I can't tell you how much better I feel after this time.

As I think further about it, time outs are taken in sports to go over strategy and regroup the team. Time outs are a necessary thing in life in order to help us focus our efforts to reach our goal. After a time out, my son is usually over the issue and we can move on; I feel better after my own "time out"- fresh, rejuvenated, ready to move on and do something, sports teams can create a new strategy to beat the opponent. Time out is a good and necessary thing.

Are you making progress toward your goal(s) - by the way, I hope you have more than 1 goal? When was your last time out?

No comments:

Post a Comment