background

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zucchini Casserole Recipe Review

Last night I tried a new recipe for dinner - Zucchini Casserole from Krista's Kitchen.  It was fairly easy to make. I had browned the ground beef earlier in the week then froze it. I simply thawed that in the fridge and warmed it in the skillet with the chopped onion and seasoning. While that was warming, I chopped up the zucchini, leaving the skin on as I love the color. I then added it all and let it sit on the skillet. Since this made a lot, I, like Krista, split it between 2 pans and put one in the freezer and the other in the oven 40 min. later we had a delicious dinner.

Fresh out of the oven. MMMMM!


The recipe was easy to make. It took a little time between the browning of the meat then the simmering for 30 min and the 40 min bake time. The good thing is a lot of this was time you didn't need to stand in the kitchen. That's much better than the chicken enchiladas I make where I am literally working in the kitchen for 1.5 hours.

The taste and flavor was good. My husband said he expected the croutons to be crispy and would prefer there to be crunch in the recipe- that didn't stop him from having seconds though! I felt the recipe was great. You get to sneak in more vegetables in a tasty way. Coming from a down home style family, I'm used to only eating my zucchini fried but I must say this was a great way to get in zucchini in a better way.

Substitutions I made: light sour cream. I would have used low fat cheese, but I already had some opened shredded cheese I needed to use up.  That would make it a little better as far as fat and calories. Overall, I would make it again.


This meal is most budget friendly in the summer when zucchini is on sale. My zucchini was $0.99. The ground beef was from a mega sale a few weeks ago. If you wanted to go healthier and cheaper, use ground turkey which can be found for $1.99 to $3.49 a pound depending on where you shop. If you get ground turkey frozen in the plastic wrap it's $1.99 usually. The canned tomatoes I used were $0.89.

No comments:

Post a Comment