background

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Recipe review- Cilantro Chicken.

Ya win some, ya lose some. This one was a loss. It was very sad. The Cilantro Chicken had 2 flaws: way too much lemon juice and definitely not enough cilantro. I honestly think that they switched the amounts when they wrote the book. However, there is hope! Read on....

Here's the low down: Simple recipe, pretty quick and easy to make. I think it took me about 40 min total- chopping everything and all. Not terrible- definitely doable. There is a lot of standing and stirring while making this. It's not a recipe to just leave cooking in the oven or simmering.

It looked beautiful- see for yourself.   

It smelled good, looked good... I was sooo excited to put the fork-filled bite into my mouth I could hardly stand it. Then it happened..... I was about knocked out of my chair by the intensity of the lemon juice in the recipe. I managed to eat it. My husband brought home our son from errands and hair cuts. He put some on his plate, took one bite and pushed it away saying "I can't eat that". It should be noted that he's not a huge fan of lemon anything- my error in not realizing how much the lemon flavoring would burst through the recipe. My son doesn't really count as he doesn't like to eat anything except fruit, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, cookies, bread and hot dogs. He had a hot dogs and "trees"- broccoli.

How would I change it: I would use 1/4 c lemon juice and 1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro. The rest of the recipe was fine. You may like it as is, but I would definitely change it in that way to make it more friendly for our family.   If by chance you are interesting in trying the recipe, check out my meal plan for this week or go here.

Maybe next week will be more successful.

On another note: Stay tuned. I'll be blogging about how I'm transforming the extra room in our home (currently laundry/storage/craft room) into a beautiful room for less than $50 (so far, I've spent $9.50 on the entire room including a gallon of paint and some decorations). We still have yet to put in the basement window- it's way to hot to go outside and crawl on the ground and such- but it hasn't stopped us from pool days!

No comments:

Post a Comment