background

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Feeling of a Good Book....

Some books I read are just a story or decent book- nothing really truly noteworthy. I recently finished "The Book Thief" by Mark Zusak. 

If you haven't read it, you really MUST! This is not something you should consider to read, but that you really should read. Okay, so it's not the Bible that we really should read, but it is a truly fantastic book.

Zusak proves to be a great writer and an excellent story teller. The content is a little much for a young teen. It seems more appropriate as an adult title, but if the teen is mature, s/he could certainly handle the book.
 Leisel is a wonderful character. I fell in love with Rudy and Papa. Yes, I even think I enjoyed Mama too. I don't think the book would have that flair without her. I could easily envision Himmel Street and the characters. Max's story is great. I don't want to spoil the book for any who want to read it so I won't go too deep into what happens. I can certainly tell you it is a truly fantastic book and I highly recommend.
 
This book left me wanting to take time to mull it over in my head and think about it, relish it before starting my next book. That doesn't happen with me! Usually, I finish a book and then I move on to something almost immediately. I'm not ready to move on from this beautifully told story. I want to stay, linger- enjoying each moment- reliving the story as I remember- like Death did with his copy of "The Book Thief". Yes, Death is the narrator of this fantastic story and a great one at that.

I hear there is a movie in the making. There is little chance the movie will be as good as the book. Isn't that usually the case?

No comments:

Post a Comment