background

Monday, July 25, 2011

Speedy Jambalaya Recipe Review

Tonight, we tried out a new recipe: Speedy Jambalaya from Taste of Home (Annual Recipe Cookbook 2010). My family usually likes my simple Jambalaya recipe that takes a total of 15 minutes to make, but this was a great twist!

The one thing I wasn't too sure about was the Blackeye Peas. I had never had them and to be honest, while eating them, I was hoping that all of a sudden my body would morph into one similar to Fergie's. I wasn't a huge fan of the peas, but they added a nice texture to the dish. Hmmm... speaking of Fergie, maybe I should try singing now that I've eaten blackeye peas. There has to be some benefit to them right??? :)  Okay they weren't that bad- just different. I prefer black beans and maybe next time I'll substitute a different lentil in there.

Back to the recipe: This was EASY to make. It was quick. The layered flavors were nice as well. It makes a lot so this is good for dinner guests.
Looks scrumptious doesn't it? BTW, No, that's not a fly, it's a spice on the onion!

 I made a few adjustments to the recipe: Only added 1 can of blackeye peas and 2 bay leaves. I was out of paprika so I didn't add that.
What I'd do differently: add more hot sauce. I didn't think it had enough kick to it- shoot, I tasted next to no kick, but lots of other delicious flavors. Add a different bean/lentil.

Family review: Everett wanted more meat and actually at some blackeye peas and rice too. He doesn't like peppers or onions, so that was a no go. The recipe was Everett friendly which is important when living with a child with allergies.
 Jay thought it was fantastic and loved the chunky veggies. That's a huge compliment from someone who only eats veggies when they're hidden in something! This man is not a veggie lover at all. The fact that everyone enjoyed the recipe speaks volumes. It was really good. To make it healthier, you could use cooked turkey or chicken sausage, but we loved it as is. We'd definitely make this again. YUM!  Of course, we have enough left overs for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment