background

Monday, April 2, 2012

Kitchen mix up

Today, I wanted to review another Pinterest recipe... I kind of feel bad thinking about reviewing it as there was some serious operator/chef error going on the day I cooked it. It was the day of lil man's tonsillectomy.
I had made a chicken in the crockpot (see this post) and planned to make a week's worth of meals around the chicken in the crockpot. I did this knowing that Friday would be a difficult day after lil man's surgery. I needed something that could be whipped together quickly while he slept after we got home from the hospital. I was excited and decided I would make Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas. Besides, I love Mexican and have been wanting it forever. I knew exactly how this would look, taste and smell. I was thrilled... Some sour cream with salsa or pico de gallo and refried beans topped with melted cheese. YUM!!!

Well, that was a great plan. That was about all it was too. It was a long day. I had been at the hospital for over 8 hours and holding a child for a while before he fell asleep. Who knew how long he would sleep but these don't take long, so I just needed 30 minutes start to finish. The chicken was already done I simply needed to cook the spinach (I added onion as well) and warm chicken in pan too, mix spices  and assemble the flautas.

Well, all was great until I started mixing the spices. ya see, the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of the spices... I misread it for 1 tablespoon. That was mistake 1.

On to mistake 2: kiddo needed more pain medicine and was fussing up stairs when I was on the second bake time (bake for 10 min. turn over and back 10 min more). I went up to give kiddo the meds and in the process ended up making it a whole family ordeal- yes my mom was here and helped too.. That was 3 adults to 1 child and I believe the child won as he spit everything out- all over my bed. So, with all that going on, I didn't hear the oven beeping downstairs. Hubby went downstairs and pulled out the food when he was getting more juice for lil man. He looked at me and shook his head. Dinner was a little crispier than we planned. It wasn't burnt though- just pretty golden crunchy brown.

All this frustration and hubby was upset that I made something on a crazy day like this anyway, but I really wanted those and didn't want to waste chicken. Don't get in my way when I'm not wanting to waste things and really have a taste for something.

Hubby  went out to fix the car and I was left with my flautas. That flavor would have been fantastic if I hadn't added too much garlic salt. That was the killer. It was good, but I had too much sodium in there. Way too much. I couldn't finish it. :( I do know that what I tried that didn't overwhelm me was good. I'm going to try it again. When I do, I'll be sure to review it.

In the meantime, here's what it should have looked like.  Click the link below the picture if you want to make it yourself.



Image from here








No comments:

Post a Comment