background

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Italian Beef Sandwiches

Please excuse the fact that I've been away for over a week. It's been crazy busy at work then with lil man having his tonsillectomy, I've been cuddling more than anything! I'm not complaining though!

So, I realize it's been a while since I posted some of what I've been making. I used to only make 1 new recipe a week, but lately, it's been far more frequent. For some reason, I can't remember what I did for meals prior to Pinterest and new cookbooks. Did we only live on spaghetti??? It really is possible!

In trying to make life simpler, I'm trying to eat more simply and use a lot of what's in the house. I would like to say I'm couponing away and still saving tons at the grocery store, but with E's allergies, that's just not happening. I'm going to revisit a book about how to save without clipping and when your child has allergies. It's an ebook I found and when I finish it, I'll let you know via a book review post! :)

Yet, I digress... Back to where I was... In making my life simpler, I want simpler recipes. Enter my grandma's birthday gift to me 2 years ago- The 5 Ingredient Cookbook by Taste of Home. I was perusing while looking for something new to make and found Italian Beef Sandwiches. I had some roast to use up and thought it would be a good fit.

How hard can it be to throw all the ingredients into the crock pot and let it cook? Not hard at all. Not only that, I had everything at home already which was even better!

Savory Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
Image from Taste of Home.

The recipe was very easy to make and quite tasty. There are a few things I would add to it the next time I make it (which will be soon). First, saute diced onions, peppers, and mushrooms and toss those in for the last 30 min. They would add so much yummy goodness (granted, it's really good as is, but you'll see where I'm going in a minute). Next, get a bun and butter the inside then grill it (oh yeah baby!). Toss on a little provolone then the meat/veggie mixture. Place under broiler long enough for cheese to start to melt. You're belly is delighted and full. Fantastic! Not only that, it was simple and easy and had only 5 ingredients (if you don't do the extra steps I mentioned).

Recipe: Italian Beef Sandwiches:
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-4 pounds) cut in half (I just cooked it whole).
3 tablespoons dried basil
3 tablespoons dried oregano
1 c water
1 envelope onion soup mix
10-12 italian rolls or sandwich  buns.

Place roast in 5 qt slow cooker. Combine basil, oregano, water, and pour over roast. Sprinkle with soup mix.
    Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat' shred with a fork and keep warm. Strain broth and skim fat. Serve meat on rolls; use broth for dipping, if desired. (yield 10-12 servings).

** I didn't cut the meat in half and didn't strain the broth. To make life easier, I simply shredded beef in the juice in the crockpot. It was delicious and moist but not overly juicy. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment