background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: French Onion Soup by Tyler Florence

As many of you know, I recently had a tonsillectomy. That made it interesting for finding foods I could eat. While I thought I would get to indulge in ice cream and yogurts and smoothies, I learned that those items are not recommended for the first few days. When I did try to eat such things, I didn't like how they felt going down. Anything too thick was just uncomfortable.

I had hadd enough noodles and wanted something else. I decided I would try to make my own French Onion Soup. Online I went! I found a great recipe by Tyler Florence and figured it would be good as all the other recipes of his that I've tried have been fantastic!

I was feeling well enough to make something one afternoon, so I decided to make the soup. Hubby went and bought what I was missing the night before. Cooking I went. Thankfully, I have a small table in the kitchen as I needed it to sit on while carmelizing the onions.

Now, I have to tell you I didn't finish the recipe with croutons and cheese as I couldn't have them. I must also admit that I was the only one who ate this soup- I couldn't help myself.

This recipe was easy to make and VERY tasty. The only complaint I have was it was a little salty, but I wouldn't have minded if I were well. It would have been perfect.

I did have to make modifications because of my situation. Here's what I changed:
- finely chopped the onions using a food chopper
- ran out of broth so I used beef bouillion cubes that I dissolved in water.
- I didn't have fresh garlic (how that happened, I don't know as it's a staple), so I used a little garlic salt.


To say I loved this recipe is a complete understatement. It was soooo tasty and delicious. I would definitely recommend it. Easy to make, lots of flavor, comforting, delightful!

The recipe can be found by clicking the link above. I didn't take a pic because I wasn't feeling great!  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment