background

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

YUMMMMMM! Try this!

Thursday was a super busy day. I mean super busy. I am not much of a crock pot cook primarily because my husband doesn't like food in a crock pot (I don't get it, but whatever). So what else is easy and convenient- grilling!

Confession, I'm afraid of cooking on the grill. Like, I've never actually completed a meal on my own on the grill and the one time I tried to grill, it was yuck - like raw. You know the cooked on the outside but raw in the middle... Ewww. I hate that. However, we just bought a new grill as our 12 year old grill pretty much died on us (crusty, rusty and not cooking evenly due to poor upkeep on our end). I decided it would be the year that I overcame my fear of grill cooking. I mean, it could blow up, I could catch on fire, lil man could get burned, what if I dropped the food in the grates and lost it forever...

I had some pork chops in the fridge that I picked up the day before hoping to make this recipe that night (but didn't work out as we wanted burgers badly). So, since they were thawed, I whipped up this quick recipe from Kraft Food and Family Magazine. It was called something like zesty pork and veggies.

This recipe is beyond easy. Beyond... seriously. Simply take the pork chops out (bone-in or boneless) and poke them with a fork then place into a shallow bowl. Whip up 1/4 c. Italian dressing and 1 Tbsp Grey Poupon (or other dijon mustard). Pour half of it over the pork (I poured all and made more for basting). Cover and refrigerate... get this... not hours... for 15 minutes! Yep, 15 minutes.

During that 15 minutes, I chopped up green pepper, red pepper and zucchini (I forgot the onion) then I added in some fresh garlic and drizzled with olive oil covered and stuck in fridge. In the meantime, we played for another hour outside giving everything time to marinate- besides in the summer, we don't eat until a little later.

I warmed the grill... put the pork on and the veggies into the basket on the grill. I waited... and waited. I then realized, the grill ran out of gas at the beginning of cooking... nice. Ran to the store for a new propane tank, grilled up my food and basted the pork with the extra batch of marinade that I made. The veggies were simple and fantastic. The pork was some of the tastiest that I've had in a while. The flavor kept throughout and there was no need for more. Despite the fact that I overcooked the pork a little (due to running and chasing an almost three-year-old who was into EVERYTHING), dinner was amazingly delicious. Hubby even said it was some of the best pork he's had in a long time. The flavor was splendid. I will certainly make this again. And the fact that it took 5 minutes to whip up and 15 minutes cooking time is a plus.

Try it. It's good. No lie. If my almost three-year-old son wanted seconds, so will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment