background

Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Little Secret(s)

Yep, I'm gonna share a secret with you... actually, a few.
1. I used to be a HORRID cook
2. I'm actually afraid to make some foods/try some cooking methods....

Whew! I feel better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

I have to share this story only because it's so funny and it's one my hubby likes to share when people try my cooking. I mean, it's no secret that hubs and I have put on a few pounds since marriage, but moreso since I've started cooking (the past 5 years or so).

I have to admit, I used to only make certain foods. Our menus were hot dogs served with mac and cheese and occassionally broccoli; spaghetti and take out. Literally. I may get spiffy at times and attempt something fun.... Let's go with fish.

Here's the story: Hubby and I spent our first 6 months of married life living in an apartment. It was on the fifth floor at the very end of the hall. Actually, for what we paid, it was a nice place. One day, my brother, an avid hunter and fisherman, brought me some serious fish steaks. They were thick and beautiful. Don't ask what kind it was because I can't tell ya. All I know is they were nice looking. He told me how to cook it (because being the outdoorsman he is, my bro can cook some mean dishes- he is a terrific cook). I thought it was way too easy. I didn't feel like eating it so I put it in freezer wrap in the freezer. A month or so later, I decided I would try it. I was feeling adventurous.

I was so excited. I wanted to surprise the hubby with a great home cooked meal and try my hand at cooking.... plus, I was in the mood for good fish. Well, I did what I thought my brother said- put under the broiler for a few minutes with olive oil and some spices. I was curious when I looked at the fish as to what the dark vein-like spot was but figured it needed to be in there so I left it.

While it was cooking, the apartment really started to smell like fish. I'm talking so strong even with the patio door open (to the balcony) the stench was overwhelming. I thought we would have to crawl on the floor as though smoke were filling the room except instead of smoke, it was fish smell. I didn't think anything of it other than it was a stinky fish and going to taste disgusting.

Hubby came home and said he smelled fish down at the other end of the hall. I said, "Oh. It's probably because I'm cooking fish and it just wafted down there." I mean, I had opened the door to the apartment as well because it was so overwhelming. The timer went off and I took the fish out to find a black smudgy fluid all over the pan. Ewww...

Hubby looked at it and said, "Honey, you're supposed to cut that part out. Now it's ruined and we'll have to eat something else. That's the poop vein." I thought he simply was avoiding trying my wonderful dish, so I called my brother who confirmed what hubby said. I was devastated. What's worse, that apartment smelled like fish until we moved out a month later! Boy, am I glad I cooked that fish there instead of in my current home! To this day, when someone comments on my cooking or says to hubs something about why they see he stays with me, he chuckles and says "She didn't always cook like this."

I thought you would enjoy that story. I'll share more on my cooking fears over the next few months. I'm still overcoming some and loving what I'm learning and the fact that I'm challenging myself! Do you have any cooking mishap stories? I love hearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment