background

Monday, June 11, 2012

Book Review: Divergent

GET THIS BOOK- NOW! Wow, I just shouted at you. I apologize. I just really really enjoyed this book. It was definitely a good read. Remember, I do not write spoilers, so you are safe to read on.

Image from Google Books


Set in the future where at the age of 16 you must choose which faction you are going to live in and become part of or stay with your family. Faction or family? Hmm What to choose?  Most people are given the choice between their current faction (with their family) or another that they tested to have an affinity for. Then there are the special people, the Divergents, who have an affinity toward 2 or more factions. Such is the case with Beatrice.

Beatrice makes her choice and goes through the initiation (which everyone does even if they are from that faction - ie staying with the faction their family is part of). Being one of the divergent, she soon finds that she's not as safe as she thought.

This book is so fantastic. Pretty well written for a YA novel. Yes, it's another post-apocalypse/dystopian society book. It's one of the best I've read in a long time. The series of events in the book are amazing. At one point, I looked at the different factions Roth created and wondered if they were based off characteristics in the Beatitudes. Weird, I know, but for some reason, I thought of the factions in that way.

If you like YA and page turners, this is it. It is long (550 pages) but it's definitely not a cumbersome read. Just pick it up and give it a shot. I have yet to meet someone who hasn't enjoyed it. Yes, it's part of a trilogy and I've read the second book "Insurgent" which is PHENOMENAL! I'll review that for you soon! GET THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment