background

Friday, February 10, 2012

You're Good Enough!

I can't help it. This week I've just noticed so much of the attitude of people comparing themselves to others or feeling like they are less than because of what others say or actions they take or vice versa. When will we learn that we are good enough and able to be loved enough just as we are? I'm not saying we don't need to grow and develop and learn new things, but just enjoy where you are and who you are for this minute. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in what everyone is doing and how they are making time for various activities that you can't fit into your schedule or what have you. You do what makes you happy and what you can get done based on your family's needs. That's what's most important- taking care of your family to the best of your ability and making sure to show them you love them.

I just find that in parenting/being a mom, women seem to be competing with each other to see who's kid's doing what and who can get the most done. I'm sure people think that way of me at times- especially by comments I hear "how do you do it all?". Maybe that's meant to be a compliment. I don't know. Really, I'm just a mom to a toddler who likes to cook to show my family I love them and I do my best with everything else. Actually, my house at times is cluttered and needs a little pick up. Right now, I have a toy vacuum on the floor with a pair of slippers and dirty sock. I could take 30 seconds now to clean it up, but I want to write. Maybe that's me making a poor choice to some of you. To me, it's something I'll do in a few minutes. It's not life threatening (until I walk down the steps in the middle of the night and trip over the toy vacuum only to bump my head on the corner of our Ikea chair and get knocked out- slight exaggeration there). If something is not life threatening, it can wait a minute.
 
Just this week alone, I have been compared with other teachers, other parents; my son compared with other kids. Friends have felt like they were being compared to others and because of comments like they were not good enough. I'm just over it. Let just be who we are and enjoy each other and our differences.

This topic has been bothering me for over a week- maybe it's because of stress in my life or the book "Me I Am" that lil man checked out from the library. I'm trying to let it go, but I'm just sick of feeling like if I didn't have my son signing at 7 months, I was failing. If I don't have extravagant lesson plans for my students involving tons of technology and hands on, I'm not a good enough teacher. There is always so much competition in everything we do. It seems like we're always competing with each other to try to be equal or one up (usually)each other. When will we learn to love each other and what each brings to the table, learn from it and make ourselves better from there. Please don't ask me if I have x done or is lil man is doing x if you are going to judge me by it. Know that I'm doing the best I can with what I have at this minute and that makes me good enough for this minute. It makes you good enough too.

BTW, I know I'm probably exaggerating on this a little because sometimes people are just curious as a self-validation or what have you. I get that. I just have seen enough in the past few weeks to throw me over the edge! I'm holding on by a thread!

You are good enough! We can't all be the same. God says that in the Bible. Each of us has a different purpose so just enjoy who you were made to be- growing in grace daily- and enjoy those around you for who they are as they grow in grace daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment