background

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I'm Batik!... I mean, back!

Back in April, I took a class on how to make a Batik scarf. Oh, you didn't know this? That's because I forgot to tell you. I haven't been in a blogging mood lately. Nor have I had motivation or a creative bone in my body. I don't know what happened, but the end of the school year through now has just had me in a funk. I feel I might be getting my groove back, but we'll see.

One of the great things about where I live is the Parks and Recreation Department. It's truly amazing what all they offer. We have 6 parks in the area with playgrounds, wading pools, and sand boxes. They offer classes for all ages ranging from sports, to cards to dance to crafts. As I said, in April, I took a class on how to make a Batik scarf. The course fee was $15 and the registration fee was $2. So for $17 I was going to make a scarf. It's about what you would pay for a scarf at the store (unless you hit up Burlington which has amazing prices on great scarves). But the best thing, I design it and create it myself.

This was the first craft class I had taken. Walking into it I had some anxiety. What if I was the oldest person in there? What if I was totally crappy at this? What if my scarf didn't turn out and I ended up making a mess out of something so beautiful and wasting my $17? Calmed by dear friends and the hubby, I set out to the class. I was 2 minutes late... oops.

I was not the oldest... I was the youngest.

I was not crappy at it... I had more compliments that any and an offer to buy my scarf.

My scarf did turn out. I did not waste $17.

Most importantly, I had FUN!

I sat in the class with a bunch of retired women (a few school teachers) and we talked about whatever. We helped each other. It was so great. I realized how much I love talking with women who are wiser than me. I realized how much I love to make things in fabric. I realized I loved being me.

I used a favorite Zentange design. :) The dark green is supposed to be white, but I had to dye my scarf a few times to make it not as flourescent as it initially was. So that lead to dye leakage.

Love it!
It was a great time. It was cheap fun. I immediately asked when the next class would be so I could sign up to make another scarf. It was great!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to make a scarf like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristin, I hope to do a craft day to make one! :) I'm trying to figure out where to get the scarves and what dyes to get. I'll let you know!

      Delete