background

Friday, July 11, 2014

An Amateur's view of painting furniture: Part 3: Choosing paint.

Hopefully by now you are feeling like your dream of painting a piece of furniture is possible and attainable. Trust me, it is. If you put your mind to it and don't allow yourself to feel overwhelmed, you certainly can do this. Use those two posts to give you encouragement. You can do this... certainly, if I can do it, you can.

I've given you the how to and the encouragement.... Now which paint do you choose??? Chalk Paint or Latex??? I would add spray paint to this list, but I didn't have luck with my spray paint venture a few years ago. It chipped easily and was a mess. Could have been the piece I used and the fact that I didn't sand it at all but it didn't turn out well.

Pros and Cons of Latex:
Pro:
1. Cheap
2. Tons of colors from which to choose
3. Different finish types (flat, gloss, semi-gloss, etc.)
4. So easily available.
5. Usually a sample size will over your piece (so 2.50 for paint for a piece works).
6. Can get at any hardware store or Walmart.

Con:
1. Not sure I'm fond the finish- next time I will use a satin finish...
2. Tons of colors from which to choose.
3. Cannot attest to durability yet. I just did a piece with it this week.
4. need to sand after the layer of primer with very fine sand paper (220).

Pros and Cons of Chalk Paint:
Pro:
1. Great coverage- one coat usually is enough.
2. Great colors from which to choose - limited but great.
3. Can do multiple pieces with one quart
4. Velvety finish

Cons:
1. Pricey- but I just saw online that it is available in 4 oz size now instead of just quarts in some areas. That may be enough for a smaller piece.
2. Limited colors
3. Only sold in boutiques.

A note about Chalk Paint...

When you go to the boutique to purchase chalk paint (my favorite paint by the way), they will ask if you want the clear wax. Let me tell you, the wax is a pain in the butt. It requires application in a certain way then you have to buff it out after it dries... do it again and yet a third time...

On the first dresser, I did this and I noticed that the blue started to turn green when I buffed so I stopped buffing...
On the piano, I chose to use polycrylic instead of the clear wax. Life was much easier and I liked the product just as much.

So, I say skip the expensive wax and get the polycrylic that will cover several pieces in 1 quart easily.

My personal preference between the paints is definitely chalk paint. It can easily be used indoors and if not waxed or finished with polycrylic can be a chalkboard. I just like the application and finish of it better than latex.

No comments:

Post a Comment